Each week we distribute a pre-packed bag of food to any child across Frederick County who is in need to eat on the weekends. Frederick County Public Schools distributes food but only for the school week. These pre-packs are ordered from a national partner and are very convenient for our current purpose during this pandemic.
We have started occasionally distributing, in addition to the pre-packs, what we call Emergency Snack Packs (ESPs) to supplement more filling items on long weekends or school breaks. During the school year when school is in-person these are sent home on the chance there could be a delayed opening or school closure due to inclement weather.
If you are wanting to pack the food as well even better! While packing, we ask that volunteers please wear masks and gloves. The ESPs are quart or gallon sized bags filled with four items and placed in a box. It is really easy and fun for everyone of all ages, even little kids, to participate in. Click here to learn more!
And if you are wanting to donate food, please refer to our Amazon wish list and the “Approved Menu Items” list below. We have had success purchasing through SAM’s Club and Costco for these items as well.
Purchased items or packed bags can be delivered to our storage office located at 1016 N. Market Street in Frederick, Maryland around the back of the building.
We are so grateful for your thoughtfulness and willingness to help feed children in Frederick. They are the greatest at risk during this pandemic and every little bit helps them.
Approved Menu Items
- Individual cereal bowls/boxes (Reduced Sugar or
- Cereal/Granola bars
- Shelf-stable yogurt or milk packages
- Fruit pouches or cups
- Sunflower seeds
- Meat sticks (i.e., Jack Links, Slim Jim)
- Individually packaged whole-grain crackers (i.e.,
Cheez-Its, Goldfish Cheddar Crackers, Animal
Crackers, Pretzels, or popcorn
- Raisins or craisin packets
- Chef Boyardee (or generic brand) ready-to-eat
pasta bowls (pop-top lids required)
- Ready-to-eat soup (pop-top lids required)
Food Items To Avoid
- Bulk items that require further packaging (i.e. bulk cereal re-packaged in individual bags/containers)
- Any products that contain peanuts (due to allergies)
- Fresh produce items that bruise easily (I.e., berries, bananas,
- Canned products. Choose products with a pop-top lid or
- Items high in sodium (I.e., greater than 100mg per package)
- Perishable items
- Candy, gum, or food of no nutritional value
- Items that have expired